Thursday, November 09, 2006



Bless your beautiful hide, wherever you may be....


Sorry, sorry, far too much watching of "Seven Brides for seven brothers". Yes, it is the
old original one, not that poor excuse for a television series where only one was married at the start and none of the others ever got close! (80's flashback I think) I commented to Patti, I think, yesterday that on the commentary the director says that all the quilts were from Op Shops!! They then either used them as backdrops or cut them up to make the beautiful quilted dresses the girls wear! can you imagine sending a 100 year old quilt to an op shop because it was out of fashion? Well, there is no way that we could but fashions change. When I bought home my old sewing table my husband informed me, "Boy, there would have to be three of them buried over in our tip hole, Mum just told me to add them to the junk when we did up the kitchen." This from a woman who kept the fake panel board buffet!

I have sneaky peeked at what my blocks will look like for Judy's gratitudes and think I'm happy.


Now, the promised Sewing room tour that I should have thought far more seriously about before I so rashly said it would be today.

Oh, the ethical dilemmas, do I spend 6 hours during which I could be sewing, and tidy it perfectly, put everything where it goes and present a sewing room that is not "real". Or, do I do what I did, whack a few major bits of junk on the table inside the door and then present the real me, whose many on-the-go projects may look messy but are actually in a form of order that is far from Utopian but works just fine for me. As I say to my husband whenever he calls in and rolls his eyes-"it's my room, it took me a long time to get a space I didn't have to pack up and it will be how I want it!" Except I say it in quite a sweet voice as he allowed me to have a complete bay of his shed, 3 1/2 metres and 11 metres long. He is meticulously tidy! Anyway, I'll post a few general shots and if you want specifics, etc, just yell out and I'll add detail tomorrow.


I've just tried to move around some photos but nothing is going quite where I want. I think that you will have to wait until tomorrow for the external view, actual stash section, custom made cutting table etc.etc., blogger keeps wiping my photos! There are a few extra things stored on the shelves, like my jars for jam and bottles for sauce, but generally it's all sewing or craft. Have a good day, Tracey
Ps, just had a go at republishing this to improve the photos but I am losing more than I am gaining-why is it so hard to move a photo without it disappearing?? Also, the egg money is really from eggs and is very handy!

8 comments:

May Britt said...

Your gratitude is beautiful too. I am so behind schedule now. Have not had time to sew a couple of days. I love your sewingroom. Looks like you have good space. And i love your crative mess LOL

Joyce said...

I would much rather see a "real" quilting area than one all cleaned up for the photo. As a friend of mine said when I started apologizing for the mess, It's a working studio, not a showroom. Would you rather spend your time cleaning or sewing? Easy to answer that one.

Patti said...

Looks like a place where you spend many happy hours. How nice that you have so much space! Can't wait to see your real "stash".

I'd forgotten about them wearing quilted dresses in the movie - as I said earlier I was sure it would be historically incorrect - and boy was I right! I'd forgotten all about the TV show - not sure why because I did watch it. The show may have been really corny but I loved the opening song. "The bluest skies . . . ." I always had to watch anything having to do with Seattle - I never tire of seeing the home of my childhood portrayed on the screen. I think that stems from the fact that I wished I was growing up somewhere more exciting like New York or the east coast. As I matured I realized what a perfect place I was living in and how lucky I was to be there.

Melzie said...

I love your block it looks great. I am almost done with hour 3 lol I am behind too May Britt! Your sewing room is awesome and I like the lived in look :) xoxo melzie

McIrish Annie said...

looks just like mine. Now I can tell my DH i'm not the only one with a messy studio.

Libby said...

Your studio looks like a place where things happen. Cleaning it would just stiffle the process.

Unknown said...

The gratitude block is nice; I like your use of the plaid fabric! Thank you for sharing your sewing studio with us all! Your space is great!

Sweet P said...

You have a cool sewing space. Looks like you have everything you could ever need or want. I like you sewing table. That was a great find.