Wednesday, April 11, 2007

And..the "Book of my year" award goes to:
-The Time traveller's wife.
Actually, probably the best read for the last few years if I am truthful. I did get a little sick of reading about abuse, heartbreak etc, etc a few years ago so I have stuck to good, known safe reads: the kind of reads that make me feel good at the finish rather than traumatised.
But I loved this book that I had seen on people's profiles and in book memes.
I was faced with my usual quandary over a good book. Do I just read and read until it is done, like devouring a pizza when you are starving...or do I lengthen out the joy, make it into a 3 course meal... with oysters kilpatrick or a big serve of Tapas to start? Decided to make it a 3 course meal as I wanted it to last but it's also a library book and even though I intend buying it to reread at my leisure-I really did need to get through it so there were a few post midnight sittings.
I read Harry Potter as the pizza because I am desperate to know what happens next. I then reread and enjoy it slowly but after any amount of years in between I am starving for the new course! Please don't let us lose another old friend Miss Rowling, I prefer my tears to be of joy!
I am thinking tonight about being tagged by Anne at Quiltoholic for blog of the day awards, I need to now choose another 5 which I am finding difficult as I'm not good at singling out. Thank you very much for the honour though, Anne and thanks to those who are teaching me to link, I need time at the computer to play which may come when the kids go back to school.
I will go now and sleep on my 5, Tracey

7 comments:

McIrish Annie said...

I read this book when it first came out and LOVED IT! I think you are right that this is one of the best books to come out in a few years! May need to reread it again!

As for Harry, LOVE HIM and do not want this to end! I end up rereading the previous one or two books prior to the new release so I remember what happened or I have to call my niece and nephew for updates. Oh, it is hard to get old!

I too have a hard time deciding whether to read or feed my family. Sometimes, the hubby goes hungry!!

Ruth's Place said...

I'm definitely going to have to visit our local library and see if they have this book, after all the positive reviews I've seen of it.

Kim said...

Okay, you've sold me--I'll have to give this one a try. Thanks for the recommendation!

Juliann in WA said...

this book is on my shelf to be read - I have the same problem with great books - do I slow down and savor? rarely - and then I am sad when it is over

Fiona said...

Glad you liked it, I have another recommendation if you haven't already read it - 'These is my Words' by Nancy E Turner, I think you would like it.

Laurie Ann said...

That book was fantastic! I thought it was the best book I have read in years and years and I have read a lot of books, but that one was just so so so good!!!

Patti said...

That's exactly how I read Harry Potter! As well as all the books by Terry Brooks.