Monday, January 07, 2008

While we are in the pool...

So, you know that I have been running around the countryside with the kids on Summer holidays, and tormenting pets with quilts but I have neglected to give you a real working farm update, so l'm partially fixing that today.
I can't help a whole lot with harvest, other than dragging around the odd bin and auger or dropping the men from one paddock to another...big machinery is not in my job description.

Now usually my husband NEVER rings me to come and take pictures; he considers this photography a bit of a nuisance that slows down the jobs by distracting his #1 worker, the photographer! Well, let's say he did think that until the photo book of his farm he got for Christmas....now he wants me and the camera!

Here is the reason, a 7 1/2 tonne to the hectare wheat crop.

Whoa, sorry,back up there.-If, like me, when I married into a cropping operation from a strictly sheep and cattle upbringing, you don't know whether that is good or not, read the tone it is said in, here, I'll help you with that....


"this is a 7 1/2 tonne to the hectare wheat crop!!!!!"


And then, just smile and say 'wow', so you don't show your ignorance....that worked for me for years! I was only then caught out when he came in exhausted at one am after a 20 hour harvest day and I couldn't pick the tone...and it hurts to have to whisper..."is that good?"

Here is the gold pouring into the truck.


Here it is being temporarily stored in a field bin as the truck couldn't keep up.

And here it is being poured in as the sun goes down...and harvesters around here really get going. They harvest until it gets too damp or cool and as it is often the afternoon before they can get started they have to go all night if the conditions are right.

Rain now would cause serious problems to the grain and stop the harvest in it's tracks, so it is a race to get it off. DS loves sitting watching the Header front "eat" the grain... and keeps a sharp eye out for the foxes that run from the last sections.


In between the harvest there are still the normal jobs. We had to get steers in to sell at last Friday's cattle sale, this is DH cutting out a few others we wanted from the herd. I am nobly assisting...and trying to hide the fact that I am taking photos! All done while the kids are sitting in the back of the ute in their bathers, waiting to leave for the beach- a very good lesson in work comes before play.

Now, 2 absolutely lovely ladies, Lou-Lee and Susan, have made my day, week and perhaps year by giving me the "You make my day" award. I need to get over the fact that I cannot pick favourites ....even from amongst photos, let alone blogs....and come up with 10 blogs to pass this award onto. I am off now to chew my nails, drink coffee and maybe even something stronger and make lists in order to be able to post this tomorrow. Have a great day...and you are welcome to keep commenting on the chooks and calf pics, I wont draw for a few days, lol Tracey

11 comments:

Kristie said...

That is just so cool! I live on a small farm, but we only grow a vegetable garden for ourselves, have a few horses, a mule, pigs and chickens. Getting ready to buy a few beefs. I just love our farm life.
Kristie

Chookyblue...... said...

so now I know what dh will be getting for xmas next year.......a photo book.......wow I sure hope that is your crop......seem a little weird that you are harvesting and we are done months ago not that there was much up this way and we ended up with none.....hope you steers sold well.......

Patti said...

You have a great eye for photography Tracey - no wonder your husband loved his book! Thanks for the peek into the harvest - looks like a marvelous crop to me!

Unknown said...

Terrific photo's....as usual. Hope it all goes the way your dh wants it.

Ruth's Place said...

Yah for a big wheat crop! Hoping you beat the rain and that the steers sold well.

Dawn's Daily Journal said...

I love getting peeks into your life!
Do you get a lot of foxes running around??? That's pretty interesting.
:) dawn

Joyce said...

I loved the pictures of farming life. I was raised on a small farm but it looked nothing like yours. Of course, that was long, long ago. Lol.

Saska said...

We measure bushels per acre and this last June crop was great starting out and then it started raining!

Susan said...

This post is a perfect example of why I gave you that award. I love reading about your farm, your family, and your quilts. =)

Libby said...

Great photos of a-day-in-the-life . . . they really do remind us city folks where everything comes from *s*

atet said...

I'd be like you and just nod and ask if that was good -- but boy are those photos impressive! Love the one at sunset. The idea of harvest going on all night is not surprising -- they do the same with corn :0).