Sunday, June 29, 2008

A Sunday treat..and your book reviews wanted!

What's the perfect recipe for a very cold and bleak Sunday afternoon?

Sleep on the couch, read a book, soak in the bath or veg in front of the TV?
Well, they all sound good, but a bit of mindless sewing where I could start with strips from shirt sleeves and end up I-know-not-where sounded very enticing, so that was what i chose.
Here are some random strips with very little attention to seams. I love very little attention to seams!

I found this maths thing that I bought cheap in a pack at the back to school sales, so decided to see what would happen with it
.
I decided just cutting like this was too easy so i started cutting on an angle to make the whole effect more random.

That way I ended up with a lot of different effects for the blocks.
I have absolutely no idea where this will lead me tomorrow, but I think I will enjoy the trip...
Whatever I choose will definitely involve foundation piecing though-there are a huge amount of bias edges there.
In the lead up to my 300th post i am planning on a making few posts this week, so you should see how this develops fairly quickly.
Each post this week is going to include a mention of a favourite quilting related book. I am always looking for quilt books that are a good read so if you want to jump on board and include your favourite book in a post this week, drop me a line so I can check it out-and perhaps more.... (hint, it is coming to my 300th post!!)

Today's is the Quilt maker's gift. A fabulous story for adults and children. my daughter and I read this together regularly and never tire of it as there is always something new to discover in the text and illustrations. It is a great lesson for all of us on why we do what we do- and the "quest" for happiness! have you read this, what do you think?
Have a great day, Tracey

14 comments:

comicbooklady said...

those are so awesome!I can't wait to see what you end up with!

Christine said...

Looking forward to seeing what you do with your 'wedges'. I love the photo where they look like the blades of a windmill.

Gina said...

My daughter loved that book aswell. She liked the illustrations of all the quilts.

Love and hugs Gina xx

Gina said...

My daughter loved that book aswell. She liked the illustrations of all the quilts.

Love and hugs Gina xx

Jo-Anne said...

I cant wait to see your progress!
Have a happy day...:)

Sew Create It - Jane said...

I have that book too...great story to read to children and great pictures. I have a few children's books that deal with quilts...I love reading them to my daughters.

sewkalico said...

Great playing you're up to!
I have not read that book, but wanted to buy the Quiltmaker's Journey (same author) because someone suggested it to me. I love the Patchwork Cat - lovely illustrations and a sweet story...

Chocolate Cat said...

Looking forward to seeing where this ends up! also looking forward to the book reviews, I don't have any quilting reads but will enjoy some reccomendations!

Susan @ Blackberry Creek said...

I read The Quiltmaker's Gift several years ago. I think it's a beautiful story--for children and adults. And the art is amazing.

Jodie said...

Love your extreme sewing !!!
i have read that book - bought it for the school library of course.

Lissa Jane said...

blocks are lookin' great.. hmmm I have only read one quilt related book, one of those Jennifer Cha??? ones and I didn't really enjoy it.. I did read how to make an american quilt a thousand or so years ago too, I guess I enjoyed that one better than the other one.. Having said that, I am more a Janet Evonavich fan and she definately doesn't write quilt books! :O)) (I am more a crime / murder / mystery person)


Lissa

Jodie said...

You're a geneous!!!! What a great effect you've created with that handy old maths thingy and some old check shirts, well done... I have loads of old shirts stored away in boxes awaiting inspiration for a project, this just might be the answer/inspiration I've been looking for....

Jodie :)

Lynn Dykstra said...

I really look forward to what you come up with in using those plaids--wonderful idea.

Carol E. said...

I love the QuiltMakers Gift and have given it to several people. The illustrations are so great! Love your wedges,too and look forward to seeing the end result. I hope your migraine went away with your visit to the chiropractor!