Wednesday, August 06, 2008

A quilt with two different thicknesses.

Ideas most welcome on this project please.....

Tomorrow I am getting ready for my quilt weekend.

My husband has a request for a quilt, he has had the same request for a few years.

You see, he likes hardly any blankets and I like to be very snug and warm. We manage best with quilts that I have made rather than eiderdowns/doona/blankets but even with quite a light weight batting he is hot...while I am on the chilly side.

Now, of course, we could go out and find a partner who likes the same set up but I have just got him about trained right (cough, cough, choke. choke!!) so I am considering that isn't the best option.
...well, we have the toilet seat dilemma sorted......lol

The second best is making some kind of differently weighted quilt.

I had thought about just joining a really light batting to a heavier one, but the unevenness and difficulty of making it in any way unifom and neat looking has put me off. But I think i have come up with an idea to try. He quite likes one woollen blanket in weight. I hate woollen blankets, but I am thinking I could make a string quilt where I cut up the foundation blocks for his side out of a woollen blanket and for my side out of the weight of batting i like. This should eliminate and obvious batting difference half way down the middle of the bed and all I will have to do is back it at the finish.

Can you see any obvious problem with this, or have you ever tried to make a quilt to solve a similar problem?

All input appreciated before I start cutting waddings and strings tomorrow,

love Tracey

13 comments:

Julie said...

Separate beds!!!!
Julie xxx

Tracey @ozcountryquiltingmum said...

Not an option Julie!!

Tracey in CT said...

Make the quilt as you normally would with 'normal' batting that your husband could deal with. Then on the backside of the quilt sew snaps or buttons around the perimiter of 'your half'. On a blanket cut and trimmed to the same size as 'your half', sew the other half of the snaps (or make buttonholes to correspond with the buttons) and thn snap or button the extra blanket onto the back of your half.

Needled Mom said...

I would think that the foundation blocks using the different weights would work perfectly. We have the same issues at our place with me liking the heavier weights. It is difficult. Follow up with us on what you do.

Have a great weekend. I know it will be a blast.

The Calico Cat said...

My husband & I use separate quilts. Appasrently, I cocoon in the quilt leaving him with none...

Ginger said...

He he :) we have the same problem in our house so I read your idea avidly thinking it will work great for us! Then when I come to comment and say "thanks for the idea" I found some more ideas! The extra blanket buttoned on looks good as does separate quilts.

McIrish Annie said...

Make a full or queen size for the both of you and then make a matching twin to add to your side. Maybe with snaps like tracey suggested. Of course, it's more work for you. But as you say much easier than training a new hubby!

Mary Johnson said...

I'm not sure how the resulting quilt would look but I expect you'd see some kind of *line* where you changed foundations.

I found the best solution for us was to make a king size quilt the weight Keith likes and when I need more warmth, I add a twin size quilt with a flannel back on top on my side.

If you coordinated the quilts - the twin would look nice folded at the foot of the bed.

Chocolate Cat said...

We have the same problem so 2 years ago at Sheepvention we ordered a doona which is 3 blankets weight on my side and 1 on hubbys. I just then use an even weight quilt for looks on the top. It is wonderful!

Kim said...

I like everyone's idea about using one main quilt but adding an extra, heavier quilt to your side. We often add an extra flannel quilt to the bed during colder winter nights; it's just big enough to barely cover both of us but can just be used to cover one or the other as needed. Most of the time, it "lives" hanging over the top of the bedroom door where it can be grabbed as needed.

Calidore said...

Ohh can I order one of those loos....vbg. I can see the problem - the quilting problem that is....lol. What about making the quilt as "normal" (if there is any such creature) then using cotton for the backing on your side and flanalette on his. I have used poly batting (a thin one) in a recent quilt and then used flanalette as the backing. It was brilliant to sew through and makes the quilt amazingly warm - as warm as if I had used a woolen blanket for the batting - which I admit to doing more than once.

The other solution - which I admit to using a bit here too - is to add a smaller quilt (single bed or smaller) to his side of the bed so He Who Cannot Stand the Cold stays warmer than I do. Hope this helps rather than confuses.

Catherine

Kim said...

I really like Mary's idea! Have you tried the wool batting that is available? I would like to hear if anyone has and how they like it.

RG said...

Tracey,
It seems this is common.
We use a 'normal' quilt on top and I layer up underneath the 'top' quilt with other/s underneath.
It works well for us.