Sunday, April 27, 2008

Unpredictable girls

This is a very rascally almost 3 year old.
THIS is also the only time she is ever still or quiet!
This is also a slight problem......
I gave my DN this quilt on the day after she was born, I only had to sew the binding on the night i received the good news because I just knew she was a girl. It is backed with a very cuddly fleecy and she loves it..."my quilty!" or "my Tracey quilty!!"
The problem stems from the fact it was made for a baby and now she is almost 3 and wont sleep under anything else-flatly refuses and quilty doesn't cover her all night and it means her 36 week pregnant mother is going up and down the stairs all night because she is cold.
SOOO...
I had bought some of the Barefoot roses range for a new quilt for her and when my sister was here on Friday she gave me precise design instructions for the new quilt-positively the last time I let my sister near any quilting magazines, she wanted everything...but I lead her in my direction, even making sample blocks while we had lunch!

Here it is cut into yummy 2 1/2 inch strips

And here are the 9 patches checking they like their pink sashing.
I like the pink sashing, the mother likes the pink sashing and Miss almost 3 looked at it and said.....
"I just want my quilty!!"
we are working on the theory that if I back it in fleece we will eventually be able to slip it on her in bed. Pleased that isn't really my problem!

I know I was intending concentrating on the market but my girl was fairly dodgy with what is possibly a recurrence of her stomach and migraine complaint over the weekend and I find sewing therapy to be better looked on by society than-
1. running away to live with the gypsies.
2. Starting to drink prior to 10 am
3. Leaving her on the hospital doorstep with a note atatched- (i think she can talk too well for that!!)
Mercifully she is feeling good tonight and I may be able to sleep at least in hope that she will make it to School tomorrow for the first time in a fortnight.....the joys of children!

Have a good day ...I hope I do!

20 comments:

Ruth said...

What an adorable little girl. I just can't believe that she is a rascal! The new quilt is lovely - hope she will take to it right away. BTW, your picture and saying at the end is great. Hmmm...my most rascally son turns 40 this year...maybe he's finally growing up!

Kristie said...

I have the same problem with my 5 yr old son and his "horsey quilt" It is in rags!!! But he won't let go of it long enough for me to fix it. It is of course too small for him to cover up with too, but he tries it anyway!

I love the new quilt, the colors are wonderful and the pink polka dots are beautiful.
Kristie

Doodlebug Gail said...

What a pretty quilt that is going to be .... and those pink dots for the sashing are absolutely perfect! Hope DD is feeling well enough for school in the morning - sounds like you need some sewing time. Hugs

Needled Mom said...

Good luck with trying to replace the quilt!!! My daughter carried one that I was worried about due to the rag shape it was in. I dare not mention that she still has a section of it now and she is 25!!! We would select fabrics that she liked and make a new quilt but she never wanted to replace the old one.

The new quilt looks wonderful. I'm sure someone will love it.

Love the sign at the end of your post .... so true.

The Calico Cat said...

Oh heck... I'll be 76 by the time my first 40 years of parenthood are over...

Susie said...

Love the pretty pink quilt. Kids and their favorite blankies are not easily separated are they!
Sorry to hear your daughter is yet again feeling bad. My prayers are with you both..
xo

Unknown said...

Oh dear - dratted tummies they keep recurring - we're on standby here as exams are starting in a few weeks - love that pink sashing - hopefully one the fleece is on the back she'll use them in tandem til the bigger one supercedes the original

Fiona said...

But dontcha just love the fact that she loves your original quilt so much! I can't see her letting go of it in a hurry - even if it's just to hold in her hand at night.

jovaliquilts said...

"The first 40 years" sign made me laugh out loud! My kids are in their 20's and I thought I'd be done parenting by now.:)

The new quilt is lovely and I hope the middle-of-the-night replacement strategy works. Are you make the new baby a bigger blanket to begin with?

Chookyblue...... said...

wow love the new quilt.........so are you quilting it on the machine?????........hope she loves this one as much as the last........hope that dd is feeling better and can go to school today......go and sew instead of drinking..lol.......

Sara said...

love the new quilt for your niece. I like the colors of it. Hope she gives up her old one eventually for the new one.

Calidore said...

Well if your DN doesn't like her new quilt send it my way.....vbg. It is stunning and I love the pink sashing - gorgeous. Hope the tummy bug is gone. My eldest has the flue so now I'm waiting for everyone else to get it - I hate it when kids are sick.....and you're right it is much easier to hide in the sewing room....lol.

Chocolate Cat said...

I wish your sister lots of luck with the new quilt!! Hope your DD is feeling well enough to be at school today, have just booked a drs appt for my son with the 3rd different complaint, never rains but pours!!!!

Clare said...

Is she as sweet and good as she looks in the photo?

Love the pink sashing too.

40 years? No way - I still need my Mum!

Dawn's Daily Journal said...

What a cutie pa tootie!!!
I hope your DD is feeling lots better soon!!
dawn

Nines said...

Love the new quilty. I had the same delimna with my nephew. He finally switched over to the new quilt when his old one was so full of holes- it was in danger of strangling him at night! Maybe the larger quilt can go over the smaller one...
Sorry your DD has been ill. No fun, definitely the worst part of being a mommy- when the kids are sick!

Carol said...

Awww how cute she is. It is adorable though, and to think a big part of you gave her something warm and secure that she loves so much.

Can quilty grow? Perhaps a few more borders?

Hope your girl is okay.

loulee said...

What a cute little lady. She knows her own mind too by the sounds of it. I'm sure she will grow to love her new Tracey quilt. It looks adorable by the way.

Beth said...

The new quilt is for her big girl legs! and her "Tracey quilt" is for holding on to. My son is almost 13 and STILL has his knit recieving blanket he claimed as his own. That thing looks like swiss cheese! It is so fragile, I have to wash it in a mesh bag and GINGERLY hang it to dry. maybe it will just disinigrate by the time he goes to college!

Malagueta said...

I loved the faux ad. If it's true, then I only have 35 more tough years to go!!