Tuesday, March 09, 2010

So, did it get presented on time.. and on budget?

Posted by PicasaThe "on budget', is of course a joke!! This is my lowest budget quilt ever...unless you count what 12 years of my girl's clothes cost me!! We could call it my Hurt Locker quilt..rather than my Avatar!~The foundation pieces are an op shop pre quilted cotton bedspread...cost $2! And the backing is some left over bright pj flannel I had in the stash.



But, yes, it was presented on time, here she is tucked up on the couch

after having it presented....


And here is a big picture for you...


She just loves it, what she doesn't recognise she loves hearing the stories about...about her mother's learn to sew process with her as the guinea pig. There are smocked pieces of baby clothes, the top of corduroy overalls, satiny nighties, stretchy pjs and the skivvy she is wearing in the first photos of her baby brother at home. Because I went so gung ho at it I have 9 left over blocks...and they're 13 inch. I have some strips left as well, so i am thinking I may just make a few more and the birthday girl's mother will have a little memory quilt to keep as well!!


All the leftovers are being put to use( I feel like I am going for recycle queen of the year award!) The leftover strips from trimming the blocks to size, though only a maximum 2 inches, looked cute so i sewed them into braid type strips for baby Born. Baby Born has a lot of this fabric in her outfits as i used to make them both dresses to match-so it was only reasonable that she get the keepsake as well!


And what was the picture from the last post? All of the leftover fabric scraps went straight into this old tablecloth I sewed up and are now being very happily slept on as Rosie and Archie's new dog bed...all those clothes...all those happy endings...I feel like I should be chasing Laura and Carrie Ingalls down the hill!

Happy Birthday to a great kid it was a pleasure to spend 26 hours sewing time on in the last 10 days! And hope your day was great, Tracey

20 comments:

Doodlebug Gail said...

That turned out beautifully Tracy. She looks really happy with it - well done!

Sweet P said...

Wow! What a gorgeous quilt. She will continue to share the memories the quilt represents. Great job!

Needled Mom said...

I knew you could do it!!! It looks awesome and I know it will be forever loved.

Elaine/Muddling Through said...

What a beautiful quilt! And the memories just make it that much better. I still have a quilt my grandmother made for me with scraps of clothing from me and other family members. There are scraps from clothing I make for my son forty years ago when I started sewing.

loulee said...

We knew you could do it.
It's a fantastic gift and I'm sure it will be loved for ever.

Andrea said...

Hurray for you Tracey -it's an absolute treasure. And wow isn't your little girl turning into quite the young lady xxx

Chocolate Cat said...

Happy Birthday to one very happy girl! Love the quilt! Think you can safely say you work well to a deadline!!!

Chookyblue...... said...

so pleased she loves it and I knew you would get it finished in time.........Happy Birthday Tink........

Ali Honey said...

Applause! Applause! It's a great quilt with stories. Well done indeedand Happy Birthday to your Daughter.

Marlene said...

Happy Birthday to the young lady. What an amazing quilt filled with so many memories. Love how it turned out. Great job.
the little doll quilt is also very cute.

Anonymous said...

Oh, Tracey.....the quilt is beautiful and I am sure that it will be sooooooooo loved and snuggled in. Happy Birthday to both you and presious girl.
Hugs, B

Calidore said...

Well done it looks stunning and is sure to be treasured. Got to love how you used up the leftovers too...vbg. Now that's being thrifty.

Jenni said...

Way to go Tracey! Finished, even with all that time pressure!

Quilts And Pieces said...

This is absolutely wonderful! What a great gift!

Margaret said...

The smiling happy face tells the story, Congratulations on your work and Happy Birthday to the Birthday Girl.

Ruth's Place said...

It's a beautiful quilt, and I love the little matching doll quilt.

Julie said...

Beautiful, she (and you) will treasure it for ever.

Bev C said...

Great job on the quilt. Lovely memories and so bright and happy.
Happy Monday.
Bev.

prashant said...

he looks really happy with it - well done!
Banner Advertising Network India

Movies Gallery 2011 said...

Thanks for the post. It was very interesting and meaningful.
Android developer| Android developers|