Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Bags, skirts and cameras...










Have had a few days with the extended family holidaying and celebrating my sister's birthday. I can safely show her present now. It is a bag made from what i think is known as mexican oilcloth. It is lined in coordinating polka dots, same oilcloth. Tricky sewing this stuff when it's lined with the plastic fabric as well. I use a teflon foot and leather needle, makes it much easier. I wouldn't mind getting onto this stuff direct so if anyone knows a good lead, yell out.


Made my niece another skirt, more Heather Bailey.

After my husband discovered you can buy a lot more than fabric direct from the US, I had a little look at cameras...and found out I could save about 40 % by dealing direct. I have just about worn mine out- I bought the latest model of the same thing...why spoil a beautiful friendship!! The 17th street photo shop in New York very kindly sent me this....
I was very impressed with their deal and service.
I got the extras pack as well, a tripod, charger and rechargeable batteries, card reader, 2 gig memory card and camera bag. I would recommend them to anyone. Have a great day, Tracey

7 comments:

Needled Mom said...

I love the oilcloth bag. The new oilcloths are so beautiful, but they are tough for sewing on. Like you, I have always used the teflon foot and larger needles whuch seem to help - some!

The new camera looks fabulous. I'm sure it must have so much more than the last one as technology changes so fast. Aren't we lucky to have access to the best deals by a simple click? Now we look forward to many more great photos from you.

Ruth's Place said...

Lovely bag and skirt.

My husband bought his new camera from the USA as well. I hope you enjoy your new one!

Julie said...

Retromummy shop has some Grandmother's flower garden pvc which is really soft and easy to sew.

Christine said...

Fabulous bag. Enjoy your new camera ... looks great.

Margaret said...

I was thinking of you last night, they didn't mention your neighbourhood but I thought it sounds awfully close to Tracey's Hope all well and I bet your sister loved her present.

Gina said...

Love the bag. Is that the same stuff as my pouch is made from?
Look forward to seeing the photos taken with your new camera.

Love and hugs Gina xxx

Jenni said...

I'm warning you Tracey - this shop has over 200 oilcloth designs, mostly retro 50s, but some plain colours and ginghams etc. They also sell quilting fabric but I think they just get bulk sale lots in. I haven't bought from them yet but have been on the verge a few times. Where did you get a teflon foot? http://www.doxieshop.com/shop/